At FoodBox we are committed to making sure that your personal information is protected and never misused.
When we talk about 'personal information', what we mean is any data which could directly or indirectly be used to identify you - for example your name, email, your computer's IP address or information we hold to help support those that use our services.
We take responsibility for the personal information we collect about you, and we aim to be transparent about how we handle it, and give you control over it.
This policy is effective from 1 December 2020.
The FoodBox Data Protection Officer
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about any part of this policy or how FoodBox handles your information please contact our Data Protection Officer:
Philip Jones, Treasurer & Secretary, Brickfield Community Centre, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 8JN or by email to: email@example.com.
What do data do we collect and how do we use it?
We may collect information such as:
- Your name and contact details (postal address, email and telephone number)
- Any dietary requirements
- IP address of any devices you use
We usually collect this Information directly from you, or in the case of our services, from referring agencies or when you make an application to volunteer with us.
We use this information to:
- Provide you with FoodBox services, if you are referred to us
- Send you information we think you may find useful, to keep in touch with you and supply you with information relating to our work, if you agree
- Improve our website and the services we offer
- Process any donations of money or food
You are under no obligation to provide this information, but if you don’t then we may not be able to provide you with the best service.
The legal bases we use
The UK General Data Protection Regulation requires us to use a legal basis to justify our use of your personal information. The legal bases we use are:
- Consent, to send you our marketing Information. We also ask for your specific consent to process any sensitive data, for example about your health or religion.
- Contract, to process donations
- Legitimate Interests, to enable you to volunteer with us, provide you with FoodBox services and improve our website and services.
- Compliance with auditing and legal requirements, such as the Charities Act
How long do we keep your data?
We keep your data for as long as we need it for the purposes outlined above. Generally:
- We keep information collected for marketing for as long as you agree to be contacted by us
- We keep information relating to financial matters, including donations, for 6 years after the current financial year
- Information relating to the provision of our services is kept for a maximum of 6 years
How your information is shared
We may use other service providers to store or manage our information. This is done under contract and on specific instruction from us.
We may also be legally obliged to shared information: for legal purposes: for example to comply with tax or charity law or for the prevention or detection of crime.
Where is the information stored?
All information relating to the provision of FoodBox services is stored in the UK. Our website is hosted on EU servers. Other specific information, such as marketing information, may be stored by companies outside the UK or EEA, and in these cases it is subject to a contract which gives the information the same protection.
FoodBox places a great importance on the security of all information associated with our users. We have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of any user data under our control.
For example, our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorised personnel have access to user information. With regard to our website, we use secure server software (SSL) to encrypt information you input before it is sent to us. While we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of data will not occur, we use our best efforts to prevent this.
Opting out of Receiving Information about products and services
It is very important to us that we provide you with the highest level of service. FoodBox may send you details of activities and opportunities which we think may be of interest to you. If at any time you do not wish to receive these details, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In this instance, we may keep suppression data which is a record that you have either unsubscribed or indicated that you no longer wish to be contacted by us. We retain just enough data such as name, address, email address, and dates unsubscribed to make sure that you are not included in any future communications.
You have the right to:
- Ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Ask us to update or change your personal information if it is out of date or inaccurate
- Ask us to restrict what we do with your personal data or delete it if there is no compelling reason for us to continue processing or holding your Information
- Object in certain circumstances, to any of our processing activities where you feel this has a disproportionate impact on you.
If you would like to submit a request, or If you have any questions about how we use your data, please contact our Data Protection Officer, whose details are given at the beginning of this policy.
Contacting the Information Commissioner
If you are unhappy about how we have handled any enquiries you’ve made to us about how your information is used or if you want to find out more about personal information and the law, you can contact the Information Commissioner.
Helpline: 0303 123 1113